Tips for Better Communication in Classrooms and Other Group Settings
Here are some ways to improve speech communication for hard of hearing people in a group situation:
- Reduce background noise such as fans, hallway conversations, and outdoor sounds
- Use assistive listening systems (here's a background article on assistive listening technology)
- Seat those with hearing loss closest to the sound source, and in line of sight, with good lighting.
- Use a circle or U-shaped seating plan to let all participants see each other when speaking
- Enforce a "one speaker at a time" rule
When speech won't work:
- Use written text, person-to-person or on a blackboard
- Use real-time captioning and/or sign language interpreters
Make sure that everyone understands the access being provided.